The year 2021 has been flooded with IPOs for the Indian stock exchanges. More than 70 new companies (compared to a total of 14 last year) have already been listed on the Indian stock exchanges this year. And as we write this piece, there’s more to come!
While the number of IPOs for the world grew at 20% YoY from 1,363 to 1,635 (Source: EY), the Indian growth figure was a whopping 414% YoY. So, IPOs are the shiny new thing that everyone is talking about. And there must be something new this time around.
What is it exactly?
It is not only the traditional companies that have registered with the Securities Exchange Board of India (SEBI) for their IPO listing but also the new-age, growing start-ups (some loss-making ones) as well.
Based on their unicorn-level valuations and headline-grabbing names, these companies have been trying to leverage stock markets that are bullish about the strong recovery from the pandemic. Not only that, but relaxation in a number of reforms from SEBI has also added fuel to this growth.
Digital Payments company, Paytm (One 97 Communications) has recently closed its offering, with an issue of Rs.18,700 crore making it the largest ever IPO of an Indian company. Other IPOs announced this year include food aggregator Zomato, online insurance player PolicyBazaar, fashion retail company Nykaa and online pharmacy PharmEasy.
Let’s take a look at all the Indian Tech Startups IPOs that were announced in the year 2021 (IPO List):
Let’s compare startups of different sectors on certain parameters;
1. Consumer Tech Companies:
Oravel Stays (OYO)
- Leading budget stay and hospitality player
- Keycap number sign Focused on reshaping short-stay accommodation
- Keycap number sign Post Covid, count of hotel rooms on its network has declined by >50% around 530,000
Droom Technology Ltd
- One of the largest online automobile platforms in India
- Used for buying & selling used and new automobiles in India and other emerging markets
- Has more than 1.1mn automobiles with a listed inventory of $ 15.7 bn+ from over 20,000 auto dealers
Car Trade Tech Ltd
- Multichannel online auto platform
- Online auto classifieds platform serving as a marketplace for buying and selling new and used vehicles
- Platform operates under several brands; CarWale, CarTrade, Shriram Automall, BikeWale, CarTrade Exchange, Adroit Auto and AutoBiz
LE Travenues Technology (Ixigo)
- India’s 2nd largest OTA in terms of operating revenue & gross bookings
- Flight & rail tickets, hotels, cabs etc
- 3x growth in op. revenue between FY19 & FY21
- Industry seeing consolidation
- India’s largest Food Delivery, Dining and Restaurant Discovery Service
- Present in more than 500 cities across India
- 350,174 active restaurant listings
- Present in 23 countries all over the world
FSN E-Commerce Ventures (Nykaa)
- India’s No. 1 Beauty Destination; selling beauty, wellness and fashion products
- Sells through website, mobile app and 76 offline stores
- Caters to a BPC market of Rs, 1,120bn growing at 12% p.a.
Easy Trip Planners (EasyMyTrip)
- Indian online travel company, ranked 2nd amongst Key Online Travel Agencies, after MakeMyTrip
- Highest rated application; with 4.7 rating on Google play store
- Had 10.32mn customers as of Dec, 2020
2. Fintech Companies:
One Mobikwik Systems Ltd (Mobikwik Systems)
- Key player in Indian Payments focused on:
- Mobile wallets: Retail/SME focus; high competition
- Buy Now pay later: fast growing segment, key growth driver
- 10 cr+ customers
- Processed payments over $1.6bn in FY21
One 97 communications (Paytm)
- India’s largest payment platform
- Offers payment services, commerce and cloud services and financial services
- 333 mn consumers with 21mn+ merchants
PB Fintech (PolicyBazaar)
- India’s first insurance aggregator
- Acc to Frost & Sullivan, PolicyBazaar was India’s largest digital insurance marketplace with a market share of 93.4%, based on no. of policies sold
- Total premium: Rs. 47.1bn, Cumulative policies sold: 9.6 mn with 51 insurer partners
3. Healthcare and Logistics Companies:
API Holdings Ltd (PharmEasy)
- India’s leading consumer healthcare super app for consumers (providing online pharmacy, OTC, teleconsultation and diagnostics services)
- The largest online pharmacy marketplace in India by GMV in Fiscal 2021, serving a wide variety of consumer healthcare needs.
- 25 million registered users across India as of 30 June 2021.
- Indian logistics and supply chain company
- 1 bn+ express parcels shipped
- 20% E-commerce parcel market share
- 21,342 active customers
Thank you for reading this blog. Please share with your peers if you found this helpful and subscribe to start receiving the weekly digest in your mail! Happy weekend!